Wednesday, February 13, 2013

How to Raise the Dead Course

     Recently I took a course through the Wagner Leadership Institute called “How to Raise the Dead.”  Did you know that at this moment in history there are more incidents and testimonies of God raising the dead than any other time in history?  There are more salvations occurring, more nations turning to Christ, more unprecedented miracles occurring than any other time in history.  This blogpost is about some of the lessons I learned during this course.  I believe they will bless you too as you read!

     This course was extremely good for my spiritual health.  I was affected by all the video and audio teachings, particularly with David Hogan, Heidi Baker and Pastor Surprise.

     Honestly, I was challenged by everything that David Hogan had to say.  After listening to his testimony I wondered if I was a Christian.  For those of you who have not heard of him, he is a missionary for the last 20 years to some of the most dangerous territory in Mexico.  I have been very diligent at times and seasons in my life, but not as consistent as what I heard from David's ministry.  So at this season in my life I can use more discipline in most every aspect of my life:  personal devotion time, prayer time, fasting, and physical exercise.  I work full time, have a wife and four daughters so that keeps me pretty busy.  Over the past 6 months or so I have found myself trying to wake at 4:00am or close by...not by my own prompting but I believe God has been waking me then.  Since the course started I have been trying to cooperate more with getting to bed early so that I can get up early.  I haven’t been as consistent as I want in this, but I have definitely been better.  And I can honestly say the presence of the Lord during these times have been wonderful for my soul.  On several occasions I’ve found myself just worshipping in awe of God...barely able to say anything...just gazing at His majesty.

     After listening to David the first week I realized that I needed to get more disciplined in fasting as well.  So I started off on a fast that lasted 14 days.  And then every other day I would fast 1 or 2 meals.  Oh the Lord was sweet to me.  I felt weak during the 14 day fast, but I was able to enter into His presence much more easily.  I also noticed an increase of spiritual awareness and empowerment during that time.  The church I attend has prophetic prayer teams and I was able to participate on these during this fasting time.  I believe the clarity and power of the words the Lord gave me increased during this time.  So I’m encouraged to make fasting a regular part of my life.  I had done this once before when I was younger, but had gotten away from making this a regular part of my life since then. 

     I've also been more challenged by the Lord and now David Hogan regarding standing in faith as to what God has spoken to me, regardless of what others think or say.  Over the years God has given me many words, promises, and prophecies.  Some of these words I wonder - how is God going to do that?  I was inspired with David’s testimony on how he ended up in Mexico and then received a vision for the area he was to go to.  Along the way his wife was discouraged, he had people tell him about the dangers, and others looked at David in disbelief.  I appreciate the attitude David ministered in that he was after pleasing one...and that was God, regardless of those who believed or went with him.

     Another thing that encouraged me is when David said they didn't get some special feeling or an angel appear to them to go after healing and raising the dead.  For the most part, they just are responding in faith to what Jesus declared, that we are called to raise the dead, heal the sick, cleanse the leper, freely we've received, freely give.  I can do that.  Yes, praise God, the Lord does give signs following that confirms His word; but that's not what David is pursuing...he's pursuing obedience to the call of Jesus.  That’s a good perspective.  I can respond in obedience to do that.  We walk in faith, believing and leave the results to God.  That to me is mature faith...I believe the Lord so much and know that He will confirm His word that I will obey what He says regardless of what I see with my eyes.  I also appreciate David’s candidness when he shared that he felt he really failed the Lord and a young boy who he didn't pray to be raised from the dead when he first started ministering there in Mexico.  Despite his failing, God still worked with David...the Lord knows I've failed him many times, but this encourages me to keep presenting myself to God and follow His leading.  We can’t let past mistakes create present failings and lose future destiny.  Let the past be the past...and let today be the day the Lord reigns.

     While listening to Heidi's testimony, I can't help but think about I Corinthians 13 where Holy Spirit reminds us that love has to be the primary motivation behind any ministry.  Personally, I haven't walked in the level of power that David or Heidi have experienced...I've seen God use me in prophetic ministry, some healings, and other power gifts.  Mainly, I have operated in a lot of teaching and preaching mixed with evangelism.  And there have definitely been seasons of burnout.  I like Heidi’s testimony that she has to spend much time in prayer and seeking God each day to find the strength she needs.  With the amount of things on her plate and seeing her renewed with passion each day...to me that is evidence that this woman has High Connections.  And it’s an inspiration...because God can provide day after day all we need to be a blessing in what He calls us to.  I'd have to confess that the main thing that restores me is making intimate contact with God...basking in His love, being touched by His presence when no one else is around.  Hearing His voice speak like no other man can speak to my heart.  

     I get a charge out of seeing the miraculous...but what thrills my heart more than anything is seeing someone really buy into the love of God.  That usually doesn't happen overnight.  You get the initial spark, but seeing someone going after God with hunger and passion, week after week, year after year is what captures my attention more than anything.

     The part of the message from Heidi that struck me the most was when Randy shared how Heidi and Roland are ministering the full gospel message...caring for the whole person; their physical, emotional, spiritual, and social needs.  I love the model they put together in the villages where the widows care for orphans and cook for them, the pastors come and minister the father's heart to the widows and orphans, and the organization helps provide food and other supplies.  That is wonderful success on so many levels.  Maybe what Heidi stated is a key ingredient to full ministry...what does love look like?  I like that question.  I think Holy Spirit likes that question too, cause whatever love looks like is what I believe our Jesus would want to do.

        I really appreciated listening to Surprise's testimonies.  I feel God gave me impartation of faith just through listening to his testimonies.  I love his simple faith in God and I'm asking God to help me operate in this simplicity even more.  I also appreciate how Surprise emphasized how God wants us to enjoy life.  Come into the rest of God and enjoy life!  That has been on my heart the last few weeks and this really hit home for me.

     Regarding raising the dead, seems to me the most practical means of seeing this happen in the U.S. is for us to begin praying for those who die.  Pastor Surprise said that he will pray for all those he comes across.  Some are raised, others are not.  He leaves that to the Lord, but I think he sees result partly because of obedience and willingness to pray.   This attitude and simple obedience by Pastor Surprise has encouraged me. 

     Some of the other Mozambique pastors mentioned that they look for a sign regarding who they should pray to be raised from the dead.  It’s God's economy, so I believe there is room for both methods regarding who to pray for (everyone versus those whom you have a sign about).  I actually see both of these methods working in Christ's life...there are many occasions that is recorded where Jesus heals all who came to Him.  And there are instances where He is directed to the "one".  I prefer praying for everyone as I would not want to assume my accuracy in hearing God or picking up on His signs is more important than following his command to heal the sick, raise the dead, and cleanse the leper.  I had an unusual encounter with the Lord on a mission trip to Mexico several years ago.  In that trip we did a lot of street ministry.  On our first day out, I was appointed as leader of one group.  We headed down the street and the first house we came to looked like no one was home and seemed unwelcoming.  So I thought lets skip that house and go to the next.  My interpreter asked me, "Aren't we going to knock on the door?"  So I said sure go ahead.  There was a pregnant young woman in the home and we ultimately led her to salvation that day.  As our group left this home I heard the Lord say to me..."Don't skip anybody."  All through that day our group spoke with everyone we saw...I remember there were some that we talked with that I thought...oh they are definitely going to come to our meeting that night.  Others I thought...oh they will never respond.  And that night it seemed like everyone I thought would respond didn't and those that I thought wouldn't did.  In fact one man who had such a hard countenance came to the meeting and I ultimately got to lead him to the Lord at the meeting that night.  So this was a good lesson for me to trust more in God's command than my ability to hear. 

1 comment:

  1. Man, this post touched me so much, David. I have a hard time believing people doing miracles such as raising the dead when THEY are the ones touting about it. When Jesus did "private" miracles, He would always say, "TELL NO ONE." So thought I don't doubt the validity of God's miracles and doing the impossible, sometimes I wonder if the one's doing the miracles use it to further their reputation in the Church community. Nevertheless, after reading your post, you made me realize I was focusing on the wrong thing. I too have gotten away from my fasting and rising early to pray to the Lord. I know I am writing this 2 years later after you wrote this, but I think that's what's so awesome about the Lord. You poured your heart out 2 years ago and here I sit 2 years later receiving every word. I even got chills when I read this page. So thank you for sharing your words.

    ReplyDelete